Tuesday, February 12, 2008

You can call me Al




"If you'll be my bodyguard
I can be your long lost pal
I can call you betty
and betty when you call me
you can call me al
call me al"

I'm not exactly sure what it is about Paul Simon's music, but when I hear it, it puts me in a good mood. I feel all nostalgic inside when I listen to this album specifically. It's one of those Saturday morning albums that my dad would play really loud when we'd do our chores. Now, don't get me wrong, the *memory of Saturday morning chores is not what makes me feel fuzzy inside, it just reminds me of my Dad in a(usually)good mood. And I like my dad.

Yesterday I was visiting my home (it was laundry day), and my good ol' pops walked in. "Hi Dad," I said.

"Hi Smelly Head."

I didn't shower that day. He's good.

But that's not important...what I wanted to say is that I feel like we kind of have an unspoken understanding of each other. We find the same things funny and it's enduring to call each other silly names (like smelly head). And he will always laugh at me when I tell a joke or do something dorky - or at least he pretends to appreciate my humor. When I was living at home, I would go upstairs after work and talk to my dad. Just about anything. I really respect his opinion, and I'm glad he will share it with me once in a while.

So, Dads are good, and you can call me Al. But I probably won't call you Betty...

* Since I have moved out, Saturday morning chores are merely a memory now.

4 comments:

Cali said...

Awwwwww.... that's SOOOOO..... warm and FUZZY.......... except I don't remember any good moods from ANYone during Saturday morning chores.... just a lot of shouting and swearing....

Anonymous said...

Aren't you glad cleaning is just a memory now??? I am glad you have warm fuzzys about your dad... he can be fun when he's not cleaning. Shouting and swearing comes to mind on cleaning day too. :)

keep up the blogging.. you and cal do great! I love it!

alison said...

I guess the warm fuzzies come before anyone gets too into the chores...It's mostly just the Saturday morning music that I like...

Cali said...

PS- For some reason Rory's link quit working. It did that on mine too. If you go to Sarah's blog, THEN click on Rory's link, you will see he has posted a few times since Leibe Mutter.