Sunday, February 24, 2008

bears love kids with honey on their heads!

So my dad started a blog. It's great, really! I didn't know he had such great writing skillz... Anyway, he has one of those music things on it and when I entered his blog Dean Martin started singing "On an evening in Roma." As I am sure it is the same for all of you, hearing certain music brings back strong memories and feelings of what ever the situation or time was when I had listened to it. Ok, that sentence was horrible, but you get what I mean (hopefully).

Over the summer I lived in Wyoming and worked at this small resort called The Hatchet. It was located about an hour north of Jackson Hole (and any grocery store and lets face it- most civilization) in the county of Moran. Yeah, I didn't actually live in a "town" because it was so rural. Which was kind of good, because I lived in some of the most beautiful country. Our apartment was smack dab in the middle of a mountain side. I actually saw a black bear off the side of this dirt road a couple miles away from the apartment once. He was cool, just stood there waiting for me to go pet him or slap some honey my head. Luckly I didn't have time to do so because I was running late for work and forgot my honey.
No, I didn't get a picture of Mr. Bear, but the Mr. Buffalo(s) were kind enough to pose for me :)

So this was the first time I had really lived away from home. Lets just say I got a little home sick :P Thank goodness my friend Becca joined me a month into the summer. I really don't know what I would have done without her! The only thing we had for entertainment at the apartment (beside books and each other) was her lap-top (free of internet), the 1st and 2nd season of F-Troop, and the entire collection of the Dean Martin Variety Show.

The nights I didn't work or go into Jackson (which was usually Sunday) we'd pop in good ol' Dean-o. He was like comfort food, yum! F-Troop is pretty hip-hoppity too, if you catch my drift. I don't really know what that drift is, but I liked it. And I like Becca who, by the way is in Hawaii(!?) on a mission!

Whoa!? I'm not sure exactly how this picture got here . . . ahem . . . er . . . next! (tee hee!)


That's better :) The lovely Becca Sue Jeppsen and Me on a freaking amazing horse ride. We made it to the top - but not entirely free of harm. I lost hold of Dancers reins once and he trotted (at quite a good speed, mind you!) into an ample course of large trees. The crew was amazed I stayed on the horse because I broke off quite a few colossal branches with my body. Yeah, it hurt real bad, but I survied that near-death experience and learned I have a body of steel. Watch out, foo!

Whelp, I've got nothing else for ya. That's all folks!

Oh, P.S. I cut 6 inches off my hair... woot!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahem... er.... where did you get the beer??? Explain that one young lady! Ok, it was probably for Jules, huh? That's better.

alison said...

yup, I think Jules was taking the picture!

Jessie said...

Al, you make me laugh, I love reading your blogs! And I can't wait for summer, we will have so much fun (especially since we will actually be 21...)

Anonymous said...

see these are things you should do with yourself..go, see, do. right on.

Jenn said...

Fun!! love the blog, its fun to see pics!

Anonymous said...

just another thought Al, the preferred manner in which to drink from a bottle or glass, is to position your mouth somewhere in the vicinity of said bottle or glass, so as to allow the fluid to dampen the inside of your mouth, and eventually make it's way to various portions of your body, in order to provide liquidity to moisture starved tissues, which in turn allows your various bodily systems to operate at their optimum capacity.