Monday, December 29, 2008

Po yapo thispo everything is po po....

Hola Dearest Flamly and Friends. Thanks for the emails, though I only printed them and plan to read them later since there´s an allotted time to use this. So Mom and Dad, I will reply to your emails next week… if that´s okay?

Week 2 in Machalí. It´s wonderful. Most of the time :) I imagine how much more I will enjoy myself when I can communícate… I still get funny looks when I talk, I´m very used to the response ¨No entendí nada¨ after I say my stuffs. My companion firmly believes that (and she´s been saying this from the day I got here) that I will have learned spanish in 3 weeks. Which, by my watch, gives me about 1 week left to learn it all… haha She´s funny ;). I feel like I understand a lot, or most of what she or other missionaries say that aren´t Chilean, but I am still struggling with the chilean accent and slang. And my speech is still really shakey. I think it´s funny that when we have lessons I´ll do my 2 cents and then she´ll kind of repeat what I said to make sure they understand. We had a LOT of lessons set up this week, but nearly all of them fell through. I think I was expecting everyone to let us in their houses and everyone was going accept baptism…but….no. But I shouldn´t lose the faith, right? We did get a baptism date set this week and there are a few that seem right on the edge of accepting … There´s so much to learn as a missionary, so much to learn about people, about love, about faith, about patience, about the atonement of Jesús Christ. It´s pretty incredible. I have learned that I am probably one of the most impatient persons eva. This stuff takes time, yo. Po. And po yapo thispo everything is po po. EVERYTHING. It´s funny. They will slap ¨po¨at the end of nearly any sentence or word. I think I already wrote it in my previous letter but instead of knocking doors we yell ¨HALO!¨ and wait for people to come out. My companion is like an angel when she says it, she almost sings it. Then she makes me do it. I sound so silly… tengo verguenza… And it´s true, for lunch the members feed us and they FEED us like we´re not going to eat again. Like I told you mom, I already had a couple gag refelex moments because I don´t believe I can fit another fried hotdog sausage thing in me belly. I can see how people gain weight here…but I have a plan to not, I´m not going to come home as Sister Gordita.

Oh, my dearest family, it was so good to talk to you Christmas. I loved it, but I am glad it was only an hour…sorry for being a cry baby. I imagine next time in (6 months), the phone call will be different. I will be a little stronger, a little wiser, and know a little more spanish. Hopefully ;) I love you all more than THIS much (imagine my arms wide open :)) yes, cheesy. But I hope yerall doing swell. Make some good goals for the new year, yapo? XOoXxooxXoxO

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yapo!!! I am laughing so hard right now. And vereguenza. My mother in law uses these two terms constantly!!! I cannot tell you how many times she tells dennis..."yapo dennee! Yapo!" and then she speaks very quick Spanish and usually dennis mutters under his breathe. I don't know why but I love it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb! Thanks for the comment. Yes my mother in law is from Chile. So my husband is part chilean and my son is a fourth! Ha ha. My in laws are the neatest people, I love them! Also my father in law went on a mission to Chile as well.
She does say yapo a lot, and throws in po as well, but only if she is on a roll with the spanish.
Also, tell Alison I know just what she means about getting her face FED. Each Sunday we visit, she makes enough food to feed a ward. And it is GOOD stuff. But yes, you must eat in her presence. And LOTS of it. It's a rule, or possibly a law in her house.

Bless you guys,
Kylee