Thursday, May 1, 2008

This is me venting a bit...

Remember how I said my job is starting to overwhelm me?

That was a slight understatement.

On Tuesday I went down to the Ranch in Mona to train. I was under the impression that it was going to be exactly what I was doing here, but with a few little changes.

Yeah...NO!

Let me just help you visualize what I found when I went down there...

I wanted to cry.

Is that a good enough visualization? No, really. It was a mess. There were papers everywhere, junk food on the desks, files strung throughout the room (it's a big room), etc. The personnel files that are supposed to be easy access in a cabinet are just thrown in no order in closet in one of those skinny filing cabinets. The lady who's job I'm taking was trying to find some important audit papers for me and searched and searched and then finally found them in the corner on the ground under some more files that some kid was going through. Yeah. Who was babysitting these people the last four years?

Nevermind the mess and disorganization, it's just a lot more than I thought I'd be taking on. She told me that It's basically like doing the job of the administrative assistant and a director without the pay. After 4 hours of telling me stuff that needs to be done she said, "Yeah, I'd quit now."

Comforting, huh? This lady has been there since the ranch started so she knows everything so well and has slowly accumulated a lot of work and apparently didn't realize how much it all boils down to.

The scary thing is, this was the only night she was going to be able to train me because "she's a mom and is going to be busy from now on." I understand that, really. But if you don't want to be on the phone with me all day long, you better find some time to hold my hand for wee bit longer. I convinced her I'd need her to come in again next week for a few hours. Hopefully the second time around will be better. I did take notes, but they can only get me so far cuz the stuff they wanted me to do was just confusing shiz.

Yesterday when I went into the Provo office, I wanted to cry again but from happiness because of how much more I like what I do here. I guess it's because I know what I'm doing and I'm good at it. Maybe I can get to that point there, too. ...?! Needless to say that one experinece down at the ranch office was a humbling enough experience for me to suddenly appreciate the work I do up here in Provo.

So Mon, Wed, Fri, I'm going to work at Provo office in the morning and then from 2 to 6 I'll work with the Focus program and I get to work directly with the kids....YES! Like I said before, this is what I want to do. I'm excited to see what it entails, but a little nervous too. I hope I can do a good job. And then Tuesday Thrusdays I'll be working at satans home at the ranch.

Wish me luck, eh?

6 comments:

Kirsten said...

hahahahaha... i would wish you luck but i don't think all the luck in the world could get you through that mess. yikes. sounds scary. well... good luck...:)

Chris said...

Make sure you have lots of your jokes ready for Tuesdays and Thursdays. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

And take some "NUTTY BUDDIES" in case you run into Satan. It'll sweeten him up.

Jessie said...

wow, sounds intense. Good luck!

Jenn said...

ooh I'm sorry Ali, that totally sucks. I'd have been in tears bawling in front of the lady if I was you. Good luck with all that!

Kylee said...

yowzers! that does not sound fun. My deepest condolences...(is this how you spell it?)

Guess what I am moved in our new house in Lehi and so now I has a computerz againz and I am happy! So I can actually post comments that don't take years to do. So brace yourself...wah wah wah

I love your personality. So cute and creative. Fun to read.

Don't stress, things will get better, you just have to find your own system on how to do things. That's what I have to do when the going gets tough.

take care alipants!!