Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Temblorcito

Hey!

Wow, I just want to say that I am very touched by all the prayers and concern from everyone for the people here in Chile. I don´t doubt that they are being held up by everyone's prayers. Especially those who have lost loved ones.

You asked about the temblorcito (little aftershock!). It wasn´t that bad. Though my companion and I were knocking doors at some apartments when it hit. It was actually kind of comical because just minutes before everyone that we talked to told us ´NO´ so we moved on. When it started to shake my companion and I ran out from under the buildings and wires and waited it out and so did everyone else (it wasn´t that long). The woman that told us seconds earlier that she didn´t have time ran out with her two daughters a bit scared, but ran out right along side of us. So, what did we do? We started talking to them! And then they listened to us (they didn´t really have a choice) but they invited us back to visit again. It´s true what a few people have said, how all of this could make the people a little more receptive. This week we have found a lot of people. Normally we find between 10 and 14. This week we found 24 people that listened to our message. And some of them are doing very well! A few of them even accepted the invitation to be baptized, so I am really excited to continue teaching them. I really hope we can see real progress. I feel like there is so much potential. So many people ready for the gospel and are even more prepared than ever now to receive the message so we are doing our best to get to them and help them know the great joy that comes from experiencing the atonement. I really do have that desire and I am praying a lot that we can find these people and that they can progress.

I have learned so much from Ernesto this week! He is doing so well. He wanted to show us the other day some of the temporal blessings that he has received since being a member of the church. Before he has always been a little poor, hasn´t really had a lot, very little food. But said, ¨I just want you to see something¨ and he opened up his kitchen drawers and fridge and showed us a whole load of food and food storage that he has bought. He said that this last week a check suddenly arrived in his mail from the government that he wasn´t expecting and he was able to buy a food storage. Before he said he barely had anything in his kitchen but thanks to paying his tithing and being obedient he recognized his blessings. It was awesome!

It´s true about the blackout here. I think it hit a good part of Chile, not just Santiago because it sure hit here! It was about 9 o clock pm, but we took off in a taxi as soon as it hit so we got in safe and sound. It was kind of fun, we got home and then went up to the sisters that live above us and made French toast in the dark (but with flashlights).

Rory asked if they were going to re-locate missionaries. Sure enough, tomorrow there are a handful of missionaries that were going to go to the Concepcion mission, but they will be arriving here instead. I think one sister missionary is coming in today too.

Today we had a sisters conference and I learned a lot of wonderful things. Though when president addressed us, he asked me on the spot to translate for him (there are new gringa sisters in the mission so they needed a translation) and that scared me more than the earthquake I think, but I was able to translate everything just fine :) I was surprised at how easy it was ;)

I met Sister Kelly Rasmusson this week, she seems to be doing very well! You can tell them that, mom :)

I got an envelope from Rena Peacock with letters from the achievement days girls the other day and it was so cute! Tell her thanks. Also if you could tell Bishop that the 9th is just fine to speak.

Aaaand, yes I know the Elder Canaan. He was my district leader once. I think I heard from someone that his dad is kind of famous in the music scene and that wouldn´t surprise me because Elder Canaan is a music buff too.

This next week there will be transfers. I think also we will moving in with the sisters that live above us. That will be nice. The Wengreens are wonderful (sometimes she makes cookies, other times brownies) and I have really enjoyed conversations with Sister Wengreen, but I think they need their space.

Everything is well. We are able to donate a lot of things to people, but other than that we haven´t been involved in too many service projects. The places that really need it are far from our area. I really wanted to get down and dirty re-building houses and what not… but that will all come. There is other work to be done :)

I am doing well, thank you for loving me so much. I love my family like a fat kid loves chocolate.

Sorry if I forgot something…..but CHAAAO!!

No comments: