Monday, May 18, 2009

My First Baptism!

This is the moment you were all waiting for… Okay, at least I was waiting for it… We had a baptism!!!! WooHoo!! Remember Daniel and Ester? They are the brother and sister that we met a few weeks ago. They both had plans to baptize, but Ester wants to wait a little more time. I don´t know if I mentioned before but when we met Ester 3 weeks ago she was smoking 20 to 30 cigarettes a day. That´s a lot. And she´s only 22! Now she´s down to one a day and can´t quite kick that last cigarette, but will do it because she´s pretty determined and really wants to change and take this step to be baptized. Daniel was going to wait to be baptized with her, but told us that he couldn´t wait anymore so he was baptized yesterday. It was incredible. Every part of it. Though yesterday they arrived at church about a half hour late. That really scared us…thinking that they weren´t going to make it for his baptism. Turns out Daniel had to work the graveyard shift and almost didn´t get off on time to make it to church… but he made it and everything worked out so well! It was such a good experience and after his baptism Daniel kept saying he felt ¨super tranquilo.¨ He is really excited for everything and kind of seems like a little kid in his enthusiasm for the gospel (he´s 26). He can´t wait for the next week when he gets confirmed. It was really rainy yesterday and the inside of the chapel was a bit cold. When they opened the baptismal font, the mirror to see Daniel was all fogged up so they leaned one of the youth out over the water to wipe down the mirror and he almost fell in. It was funny… But the whole baptism was pretty darn awesome. This is definitely cooler than anything else I could be doing. It was all one more confirmation to me that this is the true church and that we really do have the plenitude of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

We had a lesson with Daniel and Ester later that night and I just felt so happy to be with them and to know them. I love these people more than I imagined I would. I want for them the best. This is just the beginning for them and I hope that they can always continue growing in their faith and relationship with Jesus Christ.

Like I mentioned, it´s gotten a lot cooler. The people here are hilarious because they put clothes on all the dogs to keep them warm. I´m not sure why, but it really strikes me as funny to see the dogs behind the fences barking their heads off trying to be all ferocious but are wearing some frilly outfit. I´ve even seen some of the street dogs with clothes. Poor things.

I hope things are well on your vacation Mom and Dad. You deserve a break. That´s pretty awesome that you ran into elders that knew Becca! Are you going to the BYU Polynesian center? I heard that is pretty sa-weet. Bring me home a souvenir (hehe). I love you so much and I hope your week is good!

Al

No comments: